Most Marketers are overwhelmed by a customer or prospect database with hundreds of thousands of duplicate entries, old data, inaccurate contact details and countless records in myriad states of completeness. This existing data has likely been gathered by many different individuals over multiple years.
Did you know?
- More than 30 million people out of the 138 million employed in the US will switch jobs in the next 12 months – Gartner Group
- In that same 12 months, some 2.5 million businesses will move, according to the U.S. Census Bureau
- “The Company that markets with a healthy data-cleansing routine can realize nearly 70% more revenue than an ‘average’ organization, based purely on data quality.” – Sirius Decisions
Dirty data, whether purchased or collected from download offers hampers your lead generation results and drives up costs.
Before throwing out your dirty data and buying new, or taking on a massive database clean up initiative, think relevance.
What lead data do you have in your marketing database that is relevant to your target markets and buying roles today? From there you can put together a repair program. Here’s a starting point for determining what relevant data you already have at your fingertips.
- What businesses you need to target? Industries? Vertical markets?
- Who in those businesses are involved in the buying decision for your product or services?
- What are you going to do with the data? (Email campaign, direct mail, telemarketing)
Now it is time to repair that relevant data. Start with what’s missing. Here’s a list of things to consider:
If you are doing segmented email programs, do you have the right buying roles within your target markets?
- Do you have all of the email addresses you need for each role in the decision making unit?
If you are doing a direct mail program, do you have accurate mailing addresses for everyone you are targeting?
- Are there more companies out there that are in your target market that you currently don’t have in your marketing database? If so, find these and add them.
- Is there data older than 6 months in your database that needs refreshing? Remember how many people are moving around and how many companies are merging or going out of business on a monthly basis. Consider refreshing this data. **This does not have to be a manual solution.
Thousands, tens of thousands, or maybe even hundreds of thousands of records in your marketing database, there’s bound to be gold there, you just have to uncover it and dust it off.
Find out how your data stacks up with our FREE Data Analysis.
If you already know your marketing database is a mess, contact us to schedule a live demo to see how our ReachForce customer data management platform can solve your toughest marketing data problems.